tremble clef

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Sandra Bernhard, "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)" (1994)

If you ask me on the right days, I will tell you that Sandra's version improves on the original. Gasp! But I adore the way she changes the melody of the title line, for example, and the stuttering-but-smooth beat. To avoid actually comitting this sacrilege, I'll instead take the stance that, since this has essentially a new lyric and so many other tweaks, it's less a cover than a new song anyway.

But really, my choice of Sandra over Sylvester might best be attributed to the fact that I'm just a big old L Word-lovin' lez.

Bonus! The "Manhattan radio mix" of the song, which gay-clubs-up the beat and adds some delicious horns. Because dykes like me love (over-)sharing.

3 Comments:

  • I had not heard the M-hattan remix, but I think the Original Miss S version is superior. Slower, sexier, more Sandra-inflected. The way in which she pays homage is so specific you can't alter a thing, IMHO. And you have to really see that song as more of the larger context of the album, as part of the Chorus.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 PM  

  • This is me, Leo, making the comment. AF said I didn't have to be Anonymous

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:17 PM  

  • I'm glad you support my choice, but, you, my dear lady, is also a L Word- lovin' lez, I suspect, and thus do not help my case in that sense.

    By Blogger Brittle, at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home