tremble clef

Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Pipettes, "ABC" (2005)

Oooh, the Pipettes! (Sha-la-la-la-la!) A girl group of today, yet it sounds like yesterday. (Tell me more, tell me more!) Is it done with irony? (Irony!) Or sincere, straight-facedly? (Do you care, care, care?)

Cause when I listen (Listen!), to this song, it makes me happy (Happy!), so sing along! It tells of loving a nerd (A nerd!), whose head is buried in the dirt! While he knows his ABCs (I see, I see!), he don't know bout XTC. As far as rhymes go (it's a crime!), it pales next to the time-o, when they paired "sexually impertinent," with "colliding like the elements" (Ooh-ah, ooh-ah!). But when I listen (Listen!), to this song, it makes me happy (Happy!), so sing along!

3 Comments:

  • I love The Pipettes! Although I wish the sounded a bit more Phil Spector and a bit less Sarah Records. Have you listened to "Dirty Mind"? It is also lovely in a clumsy kind of way.

    By Blogger daavid, at 4:05 PM  

  • Hi daavid (haven't seen you on ILM in a while).

    Yes, I know "Dirty Mind" from when Fluxblog posted it, and I like it, though I find it less immediate than older singles like "ABC" or "I Love A Man In Uniform," or even b-sides like "Judy." You're right that they're not as Spectorish as one might expect -- their songs don't have the dense Wall of Sound effect -- but they're too catchy and bubbly to be Sarahesque, methinks.

    By Blogger Brittle, at 5:07 PM  

  • Hi Brittle, it's funny that I just discovered your blog. I only read your Rachel Stevens album (sort of) review yesterday and it's great! Yeah, I've been away from ILM for a while but I'll definitely be around for new Pet Shop Boys album discussion.

    By Blogger daavid, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home