tremble clef

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Legends, "Play It For Today" (2006)


I am a synth pattern, and I have been arpeggiated for your pleasure. Bow down before me. My song is siren. My followers are legion.

You, Johan AngergÄrd, will now discover my joys. You are a prolific Swedish songster, with your fingers in pies from Acid House Kings to Club 8 to the eight-person strong Legends. A few years ago you startled some when Club 8 left their usual twee-pop stylings behind for a ravey electroclash sound for a single called "Saturday Night Engine," but the synths on that were not me enough.

But now, now you will submit to me and come into my loving embrace. I will transform The Legends' previously catchy garage pop-rock into something a little more stomping and really quite fabulous. "Play It For Today," for some reason, is not included on your group's current album Public Radio, but it is a matter of time before I get a hold of ALL your songs. Then I will go on to Moroderize even Acid House Kings' Belle and Sebastianesque pop. BEHOLD MY AWESOME POWER.

2 Comments:

  • I'm still a bit undecided about this song in particular. Like you, I like the direction that Johan is taking, I mean he's got such a good instinct for pop hooks that he could almost certainly write a few synth-pop classics. But I feel like he didn't know what to do with the chorus of "Play for Today". It's probably the first time I've felt like there's not enough going on in a Legend's song (like there are layers missing or something). Maybe he decided to turn everything down on purpose so that HUGE bass could really stand out when it came. And it does stand out, but it still sounds a little awkward to my ears. BTW this should be on the next album due this summer.

    By Blogger daavid, at 3:02 AM  

  • Gosh, they're prolific -- wasn't Public Radio just out? Anyway, many of the Legends' songs feel unfinished to me, although I've always thought that was part of the "we're a garage band jamming" schtick/charm. But maybe it's just because their tracks are so short. But I like this better than the last single, which I know you enjoyed.

    By Blogger Brittle, at 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home