tremble clef

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Mara Carlyle, "I Blame You Not" (2005)

"I blame you not/Although my heaaaaart is breaking/Love, ever lost to me/Love's lost for good/I blame you not, I blame you not."

For this modern day torch song, Mara Carlyle -- a ukulele-playing chanteuse who's worked with Plaid, Jamie Lidell, and Matthew Herbert (to whose label she's signed) -- we are in a smoky bar, in the time after the breakup. A time for self-examination, for deciding what went wrong when.

So: "I blame you not/I blame you not/Although you shine like a diamond/There's no light to your heart/I've known so long." In other words, it's not me, it's you. Not me. You. But I don't blame you.

6 Comments:

  • Do you know Mara's version of Jamie Lidell's Game For Fools? Killer.

    By Blogger Guuzbourg, at 5:00 AM  

  • Yes! That was actually the first time I had heard her. I know I now need to seek out her contributions to Matthewe Herbert's big band record.

    By Blogger Brittle, at 5:13 AM  

  • but what do you think of piximerie?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:41 AM  

  • I've only heard the snippet on the iTunes store! I know! My life has a huge hole in it.

    By Blogger Brittle, at 12:05 PM  

  • yes you should patch this hole right away and find piximerie, because it is very very nice - even if you're tired of mashups...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:59 PM  

  • speaking of ukelele's: did you check out Mareva on my blog? A former miss France who puts together Frech yeye-rock with Polynesian ukelele-music? Awesome, rilly.

    By Blogger Guuzbourg, at 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home