tremble clef

Friday, July 21, 2006

The Veronicas, "I Could Get Used To This" (2005)

Lisa and/or Jessica's boyfriend, not minding her morning breath, wakes her with a kiss and makes her breakfast in bed. He doesn't care about her messy hair, and has the same taste in music and movies as she does. When she freaks, he understands; there's not a trick about her he misses. He has even tattooed her name on his hand. So she thinks, with charming, almost-English reserve and caution: "I could get used to this."

Some of us eavesdroppers might think: don't. All that will die off completely, or if you're lucky, just fade. The full-on kiss will devolve into a peck on the cheek, then the forehead, and eventually nothing at all. Soon there will be fights about chick flicks vs. Van Damme rentals. There may even be expensive tattoo removal procedures. Also, get your own damn cereal.

Because some of us are old, and cynical, and no longer have any faith in, or use for, love. But listening to this, one of four great teenpop tracks on The Veronicas album (and the only one not a single so far), some of us might forget ourselves for a moment, and believe again.

2 Comments:

  • I don't get the hand tattoo thing -- I at first thought that he'd written her name and number on her hand in a bar. But why would that act deserve placement in a chorus? Hands are weird places for tattoos, though. I guess that "you wrote my name across your arm" could only rhyme with "And then, like that guy on _Six Feet Under_, you went: NARM!" And "you shaved your pubes to write my name across your crotch" just doesn't scan well. At all.

    So obvs you think that this should have been the fourth single, and not "Revolution"?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

  • Ha ha ha, I would love the song even more if it had the pubes line, though -- and seriously, it would be totally in keeping with the "rebellious" ethic of teenpop. But I like to imagine that her name is tattooed across the knuckles of his hand. That way when the relationship sours and he starts beating her, she can see it coming.

    Woah! Aieee! I sense I cross a line with a domestic violence joke.

    Um. Yeah, I think this would have been a better 4th single; I don't have much use for "Revolution."

    By Blogger Brittle, at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home