tremble clef

Monday, November 13, 2006

All Saints, "Flashback" (2006)

In one way of telling the story, Big Beat came and went faster than you can say "Fatboy Slim." In another narrative, it, like many other genres of music -- much as matter is neither created nor destroyed -- simply stayed around in other forms. "Flashback," the second best song on All Saints' comeback album Studio 1, employs a big, brassy backing track that recalls in equal amounts the glory days of Chemical Brothers and, appropriately enough, given the song's title, big band jazz. But then again, the similarity was probably there all along; the booty-shaking that is the natural response to both just punctuates it.

4 Comments:

  • And the best song is...? (For me, it's "Flashback," actually.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:39 PM  

  • I love "Rock Steady."

    By Blogger Brittle, at 7:54 PM  

  • I'm really digging "On & On" -- it sounds a lot like "Pure Shores," which is one of my top 10 fave pop songs of the last decade....

    The whole album's a winner, though. The only thing keeping me from completely bending over for it is the new Depeche Mode Best Of that came out this week, which I've admittedly been distracted by, since I've only casually listened to them in the past thirteen years or so... it's nice to hear a range of their sounds from the very first album till now.

    By Blogger D'luv, at 4:14 AM  

  • Apparently "On & On" is the next single for that very reason, since they need something to rescue the under-performing album.

    I have to say I went back and played the Saints and Sinners album last week, and...did it always have so much filler?

    By Blogger Brittle, at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home