tremble clef

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Sarah Nixey, "The Collector" (2006)

This portion of the blog post brought to you by Brittle-Lemon's iPod's shuffle function:

"I trapped a spider underneath the glass/I kept it for a week to see how long he'd last/He stared right back at me/He thought that he could win/We played the waiting game /He thought that I'd give in/England made me/England made me." (Black Box Recorder, "England Made Me," written by Luke Haines and John Moore)

"There was a boy who never smiled/Spent all his time chasing butterflies/So carefully, he put them in a case/No one saw his fine connection/Safe behind a wall of glass/For prosperity/He locked their beauty away/He believed they were better off that way/You cast your net and pull me in/You always get win this game." (Sarah Nixey, "The Collector," written by Nixey and James Banbury)

And this portion comes via the iPod's click wheel:

"Sing (Prelude)": skip
"When I'm Here With You": play
"Beautiful Oblivion": skip
"Strangelove": skip
"Hotel Room": skip
"Nothing On Earth": skip
"Nightshift": skip
"Memory (Prelude)": skip
"The Collector": play, repeat, repeat
"Breathe In, Fade Out": skip
"Endless Circles": play, repeat
"The Man I Knew": skip
"Masquerade": skip
"Love And Exile": skip
"The Black Hit Of Space": skip

6 Comments:

  • Per http://www.musicomh.com/interviews/sarah-nixey_0306.htm, Sarah got this from the John Fowles novel of the same name. Structural plagiarism, in your view?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 AM  

  • OWCH! Is this 1) calling the lyrics into question and 2) Is that you're review of the CD? I disagree!

    By Blogger xolondon, at 7:50 AM  

  • Yes, I remember talking about that Fowles novel in my A levels literature classes. Not that I read it or anything.

    No, I don't think Sarah plagiarized. I -- or rather my iPod shuffle -- was just amusedly observing the stereotypical difference in viewpoints between Luke Haines (cynical, unwilling to back down, more likely to take the view of the collector [of spiders]) and Sarah Nixey (emotional, railing against such collectors). I'm more a Sarah, of course. I'm also a Veronica, but that's another story.

    xo, yeah, sorry, I find the album disappointing. It's just overlong and, frankly, really boring in parts.

    By Blogger Brittle, at 10:49 AM  

  • the book is good and the movie is SO FANTASTIC
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059043/

    By Blogger Archibald, at 12:24 PM  

  • Oh pooh! It could perhaps do with two songs cut, but I think it's a grower. I gave it a lot of attention, much moreso than I normally would for someone who is not in my already existing "Canon"!

    Having said that, I still think their single choice was not the greatest pick.

    By Blogger xolondon, at 10:16 PM  

  • Wow. I never ever knew that there was a movie version of Collector, and one directed by William Wyler as a follow-up to The Children's Hour at that.

    I don't much like "Strangelove," so I wouldn't have picked that as a single, though "Collector" works for me. "When I'm Here With You" seems unlikely to score her a huge hit, though.

    By Blogger Brittle, at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home