tremble clef

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Brett Anderson, "Scorpio Rising" (2007)

Suede released some good records, but I'm afraid that as far as I'm concerned some of these were great despite Brett's singing. His voice didn't actively annoy me, but here is an artist's impression of how I tend to experience Suede songs:





And The Tears? Yeah.


However! I actually like Brett's first solo album quite a bit, voice and all. It helps tremendously that the record largely consists of beautifully-arranged orchestral ballads (many produced by Fred Ball), a setting that frees Brett's more mature singing from making me hungry for rosemary-rubbed lambchops. Brett Anderson has gotten very lukewarm reviews, but definitely rewards repeated listens. Yes, the anti-consumerism song is hilariously bad, but I'm finding "Love Is Dead," "Song For My Father," and "One Lazy Morning" all very good.

And there's also "Scorpio Rising," which goes something like this:



See? It's obviously quite good.

6 Comments:

  • Hilair. I would also add "concrete".

    By Blogger John, at 12:37 AM  

  • Bless luvverly Brett. I do think he's a bit like Worzel Gummidge. A head for every occasion: a fun head, a sad head, a methodone head and a sober head. Just a pity they all sound the same. His voice, like you say, has the same inflection on every record. But like you, I love the Pleasure-produced stuff on this new solo album. Is 'Back to You' on there? It's gorgeous...

    By Blogger Phil, at 8:57 AM  

  • Heee -- hence Head Music. But "Back To You" is not on the solo album, only on the fantastic Pleasure record which I see from your site is winging its way to you.

    By Blogger Brittle, at 1:22 PM  

  • It's funny, I would say I liked Suede in part because of Brett's voice. I like this new direction too. The song is beautiful.

    By Blogger daavid, at 4:58 AM  

  • His voice has deteriorated, eh? All those B&Hs and whatnot.

    By Blogger Harvey Molloy, at 4:59 AM  

  • Great posst thankyou

    By Anonymous Kocan Blog, at 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home