tremble clef

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Marsheaux, "Dream Of A Disco" (2006)

When I was sixteen, I went to Thailand with some of my friends from school. It was after some big exam, and may have been the first time I travelled without my family. But one of those friends was Thai, so he confidently ferried us around, and we let him. I remember very little of the trip. We shopped in Bangkok. We went...somewhere cold, a fact I was not prepared for, via a bus filled only with Thai tourists, and with a guide who made jokes in Thai that my friend got tired of translating after a while. After which point he and the rest of the bus would snigger, while we could only stare out the window.

One moment I do remember with surprising clarity: the night we went to a club. We probably thought it was a daring thing to do: in a foreign country, without parental supervision. Of course it was completely uneventful. One of my friends was in fact so tired from travelling that he laid down on a couch, and unapologetically fell asleep -- there, in a discotheque, right in front of a humongous speaker, while strangers danced around him to the throbbing bass and his friends sat, surveying the crowd with something like boredom.

"I dream of a disco/We're dancing and dancing..." A recent "Song of the Day" on Popjustice, Marsheaux's "Dream Of A Disco" appears to have been constructed from residual pieces from otherwise long-forgotten tracks by A Flock Of Seagulls and Ultravox.

I myself have never fallen asleep in a disco. But I've dreamed of dancing forever with someone. And once a candidate warned me not to get my hopes up, because he was -- as The Magnetic Fields would say many years later -- unboyfriendable. "Oh, he just hasn't met the right person, i.e., me, before now," I thought, and so I started down a path that would end in heartbreak. Like my friend in that Thai disco, I therefore demonstrated that, often, we hear what we want to hear, and the rest we block out.

8 Comments:

  • Am I hearing Flock of Seagull's "Space Age Love Song" in this lovely Marsheaux tune?

    Very nice!

    By Blogger Yuяi, at 11:02 PM  

  • The things I learn about you, Brittle, by reading this... When I was in high school (always in rural locales where the best one could hope for was a jukebox in a Pizza Hut) I did indeed dream of discos but it would be several years before I actually found my way to one.

    I have to say, Leo has never fallen asleep in a disco but you know that if she ever found a couch in one, she would promptly fall into one of her public sleeps.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 AM  

  • The synth line owes A LOT to "Space Age Love Song," and I also find myself singing "The More You Live The More You Love" over the chorus.

    Ah, yes -- the imprint of Leo's (shapely) head is still on my couch from the time she fell asleep on it after six cosmos. Every now and then I stroke it and murmur, "oh, my pretties..."

    By Blogger Brittle, at 12:44 PM  

  • The jury is out for me. On a ood day it's retro-cool, on a bad day it's derivative. Hmmm...

    By Blogger xolondon, at 7:29 PM  

  • Discos were a big part of my early teenage years in Saddleworth. We had these pokey little discos and all the kids would be in there, smoking like crazy listening to Slade and Rocket Man. Not really a dance scene but very much a precursor to 'I bet you look good on the dancefloor" in that everything depends on Friday night and the rest of the week is just going through the motions.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:24 AM  

  • I meant GOOD day above, but sometimes I have "ood" day too.

    By Blogger xolondon, at 4:17 AM  

  • I just thought it was a typo for "old."

    By Blogger Brittle, at 12:23 AM  

  • http://www.myspace.com/mikrospace

    You might be interested in visiting Mikro's myspace also -- they're the producers of Marsheaux, if I am not mistaken, or at least they got them signed on their label.

    They have recorded in Greek language, but some of the songs featured in their new album are in English - two of them are featured on their myspace. IMHO, they have better songs than those featured on their space.

    Here's a video of one of their better tracks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM1yOUVdJoA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fmikromusic

    By Blogger weetabx, at 5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home