tremble clef

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Monrose, "Hot Summer" (2007)

Completely derivative (which is to say, totally now-sounding), "Hot Summer" is, as everybody and their grandmothers have pointed out, essentially Girls Aloud covering "Maneater." Monrose -- who were indeed, like the Aloud, assembled on Popstars: German and Germaner, though their name always makes me wanna go, "Monrose? More like Mon-stank, am I rite?!" -- are in fact cheekily self-aware about the derivation, including a line of lyric that goes, "I'm introduced to a hot producer/But I can tell he's just a stuck-up loser." Talk about biting the hand that...never actually fed you, but from which you, um, licked some crumbs. (Yeah, that metaphor got away from me.) As if that's not enough, the song had to craftily take a title that makes it near impossible for you not to slap it -- it would be perfectly positioned in front of Rihanna's "Breaking Dishes" -- onto your summer mixtape. So, so shameless.

3 Comments:

  • Can't deal with this group! Send them back.

    By Blogger xolondon, at 9:05 PM  

  • I imagine the mention of Timba turned you off.

    By Blogger Brittle, at 4:50 PM  

  • I pretty much hate the concept of "guilty pleasure" because I think it's rockist, but damn this song just fits that description perfectly. I wish I could just like it.

    By Blogger daavid, at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home